- People who are paid to be with me are not my friends.
- People in my life who are forbidden to be my friend by their organization, their profession, independent of how nice they are to me, are not my friends.
- Experts who interact with me when they are on the clock and will not or cannot visit me when they are not on the clock are not my friends.
- People who worked with me, then worked with someone else, or changed jobs but do not now interact with me are not my friends.
But there is a huge difference between friends and almost friends.
- Almost friends interact with me on the basis of a menu of services.
- Almost friends see me as a part of their caseload.
- Almost friends do not choose me.
- Almost friends don't recognize the potential damage they do to me by submitting to human service standards that provide a distance.
My almost friends don't seem to get that.